Monday, August 6, 2012

Life can be bittersweet sometimes



The past 3 weeks have been the best time I have had at Rising Star Outreach. I had my sister here to hangout with and I started and completed the construction project. I was also able to go up to the Taj Mahal with my tangachi.


French restaurant in Pondicherry 


Church in INDIA!!!


Tangachi and Anna love!!!
I thought the 3 weeks that I spent in India last year were the fastest 3 weeks of my life but the past 3 weeks seemed to go by twice as fast. It was an amazing experience to have my little sister Emily serving in India alongside me. We had some amazing times hanging out with Sanjay, Enokelee, and Praveen. I am so happy that she was so willing to come out to India with me and spend 3 weeks with these kids and the Leprosy patients. Emily truly is an amazing person and I love her so much.


Enokelee, Emily and I wish we could take him lol. He is just so cute!!!






I’m sad now that she has left, but I’m happy that she had such an amazing experience. I was talking to her last night on skype and we talked about how impossible it is to explain the experiences we have here in India. It was like my talk I had with Annie the night before I left.


 Sanjay misses you Emily


 Bicycle Rickshaw ride around Old Delhi!!!


I am going to try to explain what it feels like to be at Rising Star. The second you get here it is work, work, work. When you get out into the colonies the spirit is overwhelming and you cannot help but to be happy. You feel the love and gratitude from the patients that you can feel no place else (I feel that it is because this is the only time these people get to interact with people from outside their colony that love them). At first you think you will feel bad for the Leprosy patients because they have Leprosy but after you visit the colonies and help treat their ulcers you realize it’s the stigma that goes along with Leprosy that is the real disease. It’s like Mother Teresa said, “The biggest disease today is not leprosy or tuberculosis, but rather the feeling of being unwanted”. The people affected with Leprosy are not sad because they have the disease, but because they are unwanted in their community. Then you go to the school/hostel and you feel the overwhelming love from the kids. The second these kids see the volunteers they go crazy and just want to play with you and hug you (it will be weird going back to the US and see kids that don’t jump and climb all over me the second they see me lol).  

My sister now knows what it felt like to go back home and not know how to describe her trip to India. Its just one of those experiences that is too hard to describe.


Some of the coolest people ever infront of the most beautiful building in the world!!!



Over the weekend we went up to Delhi and Agra and we had a blast. We went with some amazing tour guides Ramesh and Benson. I saw the Taj Mahal for the second time and it was just as amazing. I was telling Emily that it is one of those places that never disappoints. I just love hearing about the history of it and just looking at it, because it truly is the most beautiful building I have ever seen. We then went to Agra Fort, which is more of a palace than a fort. It is also an awesome place to see, because a lot of its history is tied into the Taj.


The group at the TAJ MAHAL!!!


Agra Fort is so cool!!!


A Jain "buddha" (its not actually called a buddha lol)
"come to as, and if you think something, it be alive" Guru Gokul Raj


Gate infront of the TAJ!!!


Berlyn and Emily at the TAJ!!!!


Tangachi and Anna



We then all got on the bus to go back to Delhi to get dropped off at the airport. It really did not feel like we were leaving. Berlyn, Emily and I were just hanging out the whole ride and Berlyn taught us how to do a “woodchuck face” which was amazing. Even when I got back to Chennai I didn’t feel like Emily had left. It only hit me today when she was not there at morning conclave. 





These are the "woodchuck faces"... AMAZING








1 comment:

  1. So glad you guys learnt so much and had such a great time here. :)
    Life is bittersweet, but so worth living! :)

    Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete